Push to Reset the World: a Solo Day Trip to Traunsee

 Reset button. *pressed*



My local pedestrian crossing contains the sticker, as pictured: “PUSH TO RESET THE WORLD”.

The first time I saw it, it really made me smile, especially after pressing the button to cross the world… I mean road! ;) Then corona and lockdown happened, and upon noticing this sticker again, I thought, wow, no truer statement…!


We can do what we can do, social distancing, following government guidelines, measures etc…


But what do we do with the world inside us, when it’s struggling. When your “new normal” is constantly changing and you need to press that reset button continuously. 


It’s a good thing to think about what helps our souls be well. What do we need? What is helpful right now, within our limitations?


Each summer, I usually spend a few weeks back in the motherland, the UK: resting, recuperating from the end of another academic year (I work in a school), seeing family and enjoying the relief of cooler weather and the sea air. 

We decided conjointly as a family, that due the corona restrictions and high risk persons, it just was going to bring more stress than joy for me to make that journey home and so we decided we were better sticking to the video chats (thank God for technology hey!) and me spending a whole summer in Vienna and hopefully replanning a trip home for at least Christmas (...! Crazy times).


Anyway, I came to realise that the first week of my holiday in the UK is normally very chill… I kind of go incognito, no-one messages me really because I’m out of the country where most of my life is spent, I sleep lots, spend a lot of time just at home with all those home comforts and Mum’s cooking!


But this year has looked a bit different! What do I need to feel rested, rejuvenated and recuperated in this unprecedented pandemic season?

If I’m honest, I’m probably still working that one out. And trying to generate/maintain a thankful heart in this season for even the tiny things, I think is a key thing that can give us strength. But it can be difficult. Strange times indeed!


Anyway, on this rollercoaster of a season, I decided recently, I needed to press that reset button!

Although I’m an extrovert by nature, I realise I also need to take a fair amount of time to reflect and be with my own thoughts a while. The time of lockdown, was both people-lacking and lonely (because you’re not in the presence of your day-to-day people and communities), and yet intensely people filled, via technology and as we all pull together to get each other through! 


So, on Sunday I made a plan to go on a fairly spontaneous, solo adventure. On previous trips to Hallstatt with lovely friends and family, during the journey, I’d noticed we passed through some beautiful lake areas and I’d thought to myself, “I must go there one day!”. 

So Sunday was that day, I dragged myself out of bed and managed to catch a reasonable houred train to take me to Traunsee, which would get me in for lunchtime and I could catch a late afternoon train back (to still be in time for the Zoom chat with my girls! ;) ) and give me a great handful of hours for exploring and maybe swimming too!


And I’m so glad I did! I managed to select a good train stop, via guess work mostly, which meant on arrival, I meandered down the countryside hill, passing the ‘Welcome to Altmรผnster’ sign and eventually reaching the water. Surrounded by majestic mountains, I wasn’t disappointed. Walking further along the promenade, my happy feet exploring, I settled on a green spot, right in front of the lake (which I noticed later on, was just in front of a campsite that seemed full of happy campers. Maybe an idea for another longer stay with friends). 





       Today was certainly going to be at least half-filled with swimming! Glorious. To swim in a clear blue lake (the biggest and deepest in Austria, I read), with massive mountains as the backdrop, I felt like I was in a spa! And the ‘See’ (lake) bed floor: SAND people, sand!!! Those who know me, know how much I miss and love the real sea, so this was a real gift. And I thanked God for his nature wonders, His creation, which when we spend time in it, often has the qualities of a life-giving, healing and restorative ointment for the soul.

Yes, and amen.







After a few hours of taking a dip and relaxing circuit, I decided I wanted to see a bit more of the place I’d come to visit! I almost decided to select ‘Gmunden’, as the stop to alight my Zug (train) from, and so upon looking at a map, I thought, why not, walk further round the lake to that neighbouring town. And so I did. My rucksack packed up, my “hiking” legs took a half an hour walk to Gmunden, more town-like and less countryside-ish at this particular promenade, but with a beautiful Castle, ‘Schloss Orth’ spanning out into the lake via bridge and another lovely panoramic view of Traunsee from a different angle.














I of course bought myself some ice cream, all holiday/summer day trip goals should involve ice cream right and had a little sit along the promenade…



Taking a little look at my watch I decided to head back to give plenty of time for my uphill ascent to my “home James!” train stop (and maybe one final dip!), but figured I had enough time to find that bridge to the lake castle, which must be beyond the forested area where the sign was. Because all princesses must find their castles haha. :P

The veranda of the bridge near the castle was draped in beautiful pink flowers, and the vicinity contained a beautiful pear tree and other plants which gave a mediteranean vibe. The castle, of which the interior looked typically monastic in style, is now used for weddings and had a lovely little restaurant on one side.


 











Upon making my return journey to Altmรผnster once again, the midday/4pm sun was hitting hard and I did my best to find some shade to walk in, where possible- so ready for that final lake swim!! And thankful for the musical accompaniment of Ben Howard on my stroll back.








Final dip done (ahh, refreshment), countryside lanes winding me back up to the departure station via a wood factory. My day was done. And my heart was glad. 

Well done Elaine, on making this happen! (Sometimes you gotta give yourself your own pep talk hehe).


So remember, adventure is still out there.


And turns out, writing this blogpost has given my brain a little holiday- so thank you, 

happy reading, and enjoy the photographic view!




“Take the time for things, that make you happy.”
“Take the time for things, that make you happy.”

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The language of friendship is not words..."

Herzlich Wilkommen: a warm welcome to you!