Snowflake Dreams

As we stood at the bottom of the mountain, in the valley, waiting for the ski lift to take us back, we observed the snow tustle off the tall pine trees and into the air where we stood, almost confusing us into believing it was real snow fall. A little while later, my new awesome friend exclaimed "Elaine, I think this time it is snowing!", "REAL SNOW!!!" I was grinning excitedly, gazing into the sky, inspecting the heights clear of branches: the source of this snow. Yes, this snow really was coming from the heights of the sky this time.
My companion and I joked about my exclamation of "REAL snow" as if the former were not also natural snow!
"Ah, but you know what I miss??! Those days when you could see snowflakes... not just lumps of snow!!"
My new friend laughed at me, also slightly confused as he claimed he'd just seen one- but I wasn't so convinced! Probably just a clumped lump of the beautiful white stuff.
I swear the last time I saw a proper snowflake I was 5, I thought...
That memory still as clear as day, in the infants playground of my first school, wearing my blue embroided coat, I watched, memorized, as each delicate snowflake drifted down and there I caught many of the unique, precious jewels on my sleeve before they melted away...
*I'm also pretty convinced I did the typical kid thing and caught one or two on my tongue, for everyone needs to know what a snowflake tastes like, right?

Fast forward 23 years and the wait for the ski lift is over and we've made it back to "home base". We join the others, gathered around an inviting, warm and glowing open fire.
As I observe the snowfall still, in wonder, (surprise!) and glee, I notice that this little, precious one has landed on my sleeve... 😍

Never lose your sense of wonder! 💖❄




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The language of friendship is not words..."

Push to Reset the World: a Solo Day Trip to Traunsee

Herzlich Wilkommen: a warm welcome to you!